Friday, April 2, 2010

Idaho!

Well. I'm sure it's fairly obvious that potatoes are a part of Idahoan food. :) There were also quite a few Idaho recipes that included Prunes. This cookbook, America Cooks, is honestly a most amusing cookbook. Sometimes it talks about some very strange and peculiar state foods/cuisine. For example, the chapter on Idaho had information on how the Shoshone Indians in Idaho enjoy the native white ants, roasted.... :0

Our Menu:
Mashed Potatoes
Lentil Pate
Hamburger

and
Dessert:
Honey Gingerbread
(No! There are no roasted ants in this menu, even though they are supposed to have a "juicy lemon flavor". :\ )


Near the book in this picture is the Lentil Pate. It isn't directly an Idaho recipe. I read in one book that ninety-five percent of Lentils produced in the United sates are from Idaho and Washington so I did a search on the Internet for lentil recipes and copied off the first one I clicked on. All the other things we read about Idaho never mentioned Lentils...so I don't know....maybe they aren't very Idahoan....


Mom had these cute potato dishes that I served the mashed potatoes in. :)

Dessert:
I realized after I made this Gingerbread, that the recipe is more of a bread than a dessert, because of the texture. (I'm used to Gingerbread being more like a cake than this was. :) It was very good though!! Just perfect with some butter. :)



No comments: