Thursday, March 18, 2010

Florida Meal

The subtitle for the chapter on Florida is: "NATIONAL SALAD BOWL, PLUS GASPACHO, PAPAYA, AND SNAKE SNACKS". :) They wrote in the cookbook about alligator tails too... :0 ! Obviously I didn't make that!!

Florida Menu:
Celery Chowder
with hard boiled eggs

Papaya Cocktail

Dessert:
Florida Fruit Sherbet





Celery Chowder


A Papaya fruit! This was the first time I tried fresh papaya, of course I've had the dried stuff, but it was so neat to be able to try the fresh kind!!


The Papaya Cocktail..although I'm not sure why it was called a cocktail...it was just fresh papaya, lemon juice and sugar and a few papaya seeds sprinkled on top. I guess it called for shaved ice...?




The papaya seeds were very interesting! The cookbook said the "seeds are full of pepsin and supposed to be good for what ails you." :) They had a very unusual taste! Amy said they tasted like a carpet store, Alyssa said it tasted like a cleaning agent and I thought it tasted like something in the garden...but I couldn't and still can't remember what.


The Florida Fruit Sherbet in the ice cream maker...it was very good!! Yummmm!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Very neat! :-D We were just in Florida...

On the trip back to Ohio my sister picked up a travel brochure that had a list of things to go with a Kentucky meal, so I'll try to send that to you as well as the other recipes I promised. :-)

Emily said...

Wow, I've lived in Florida my whole life and I've never had any of that. Needless to say, I must try it now ;)

~Emily