Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quotes of Character

I have been reading Sense and Sensibility. A friend of mine pointed out to me recently that she really likes Jane Austins books because they help you look at the character of people in a way that we normally don't. I have to agree with her!
I thought these quotes were very good.

" 'I have frequently detected myself in such kind of mistakes,' said Elinor, 'in a total misapprehension of character in some point or other: fancying people so much more gay or grave, or ingenious or stupid than they really are, and I can hardly tell why, or in what the deception originated. Sometimes one is guided by what they say of themselves, and very frequently by what other people say of them, without giving oneself time to deliberate and judge.' "


" 'Shyness is only the effect of a sense of inferiority in some way or other. If I could persuade myself that my manners were perfectly easy and graceful, I should not be shy.' "
-Edward Ferrars
~Quoted from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

No comments: