Thursday, February 11, 2010

Arkansas and California Meals

Between busy -ness and a not very interesting array of recipes to pick from for Arkansas, the meal for this state wasn't very amazing. :) I made Cornbread since I read that they have that there. Sorry if you happen to be from this state! I would be glad to hear from you on what is common food for you though!
On to California!!
The menu:
Artichoke Hearts and Avocado Salad
Ripe Olive Salad
Dessert:
Plain Lemon Pie

Many of the California recipes included fresh food. This was a fun meal to have in the winter. :)


The Ripe Olive Salad


ingredients for the olive salad...


Artichoke-Avocado Salad
The recipe actually called for fresh or canned artichoke bottoms...really though, I've never heard of that nor did I see any available in the grocery store...(do any of you know what they are?)...so I made it with artichoke hearts.

Dessert:

~a peeled lemon~
I had to take a picture of it...isn't it pretty? :)

The cookbook America Cooks informed me that lemon pies are a semiofficial state dessert for California. So I made their recipe for lemon pie, Plain Lemon Pie, that is. :)
in this picture the pie is now ready for the rest of the filling and then the top crust.

I got a kick out of the directions for this recipe. :) After pouring on the sugar, water and egg mixture it informed me to "slap down crust, and bake." :) .No time, no oven temperature, and yes, I opted for fluting the edge...I think it looks nicer that way. :) Anyway, this pie was delicious. Amy said it was like eating lemonade....I agree!

So there you have it!
And please remember that I love getting comments and hearing from you. Please, especially, let me know if there is something I'm really missing with your state!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Sounds interesting! Have you ever been to California? I LOVE the mountain areas there, and despise the valley (San Joaquin valley). :-D

The peeled lemon looks like an orange! :-D

And that Artichoke-Avocado Salad looks tremendous!

What state are you from?
I was thinking, I might have some Ohio and Indiana recipes for you when you get to them... of course, you'd want some good, country, Amish sort of recipes for those places. :-) Let me know...

the W. family said...

Melanie,
I've never been to California! I've had people tell me I would like it (not exactly why though!). I hope I'll get to visit there someday!

Do you mind if I ask why you despise San Joaquin valley? :)

The Artichoke-Avocado Salad is just a can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, and 2 chopped up avocadoes with your desired amount of French dressing stirred in. :)

I live in Minnesota. :) I was born here, but lived in VT for a few years as well.

I would LOVE it if you would send me some recipes from Ohio and Indiana!! I love recipes..as I'm sure you can tell from my blog.:)

Thank you also, for the suggestions! I will definitly keep Amish recipes in mind!
~Ana